Wednesday, February 08, 2006

politics and murder

Just the thought....

...of Hamas organizing and centralizing their power in Palestine in order to send bombers to their death and Jewish children to their grave....of continued violence in the Middle East just because the leader of Hamas won't recognize Israel as a nation-state....of our own families threatened by nuclear holocaust because a prideful, power hungry, S.O.B. in Iran won't listen to the U.N.....of 9/11....of North Korean leaders continuing their pompous tirade.....

makes me seriously desire murder.

I just can't help but think that a highly trained sniper with a high-powered riffle set loose on the terrorist leaders of the world would change the world for the better. Just a few idiot leaders of the world seem to be instigating much of the strife and tension in the world. They are a threat to life itself. Why can't we just kill them? Why can't we just put a bullet between their eyes?

It seems so simple. I want to be protected from harm, so my natural reaction is to want to stop those who might harm the people I love. Knowing that political manipulation generally won't work on the terrorists of the world, I am left with murder as a great option.

And just when I think I have it all figured out, I realize that I am honestly contemplating the benefit of murder. I am seriously, not just hypothetically, considering the benefits of killing someone in cold blood. My anger and frustration has gotten the best of me and has led me down the road of destruction.

“You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Matthew 5.21-22

I am mistaken to think a simple bullet will solve the root of the problems in our world. I am also mistaken to think that my sinful nature has been "civilized" to the point of removing murderous thoughts from my mind. It hasn't. I am reminded that I too am capable of murder. God's grace towards a murderer is God's grace towards me.

2 Comments:

At 1:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Mark. Loved the marshmellow/smores metaphor back at the ski mountain. Good stuff. I need more where that came from for my sixth-graders here in Seattle.

Hey man... There's drama in my hometown over some classic 'fundamentalist' vs. 'grace-mongers' action. Only, it's not about murder, it's about homosexuality. Anyway, I thought you might find it interesting. My last couple of blog posts are about it.

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Jeff Mount said...

Interesting. Pretty sure I don't agree with your definition of murder.

Historically Christians were prohibited from killing their enemies to prevent persecution...but self-defense was not viewed as murder. Was there penance for killing someone in self-defense? Sure...3 years...but was it equated with murder? Nope.

It's not something that's resolved in my mind, but is it possible to choose the lesser of two evils in certain situations.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home