Friday, August 01, 2008

You are the light of the world

"You are the light of the world," Jesus says in Matthew 5:14. He doesn't challenge us to become a light for the world. He tells us what our real identity in Christ is. He reminds us of what we have forgotten. We already are the light of the world. After all, a "city on a hill cannot be hidden."

This is who we are as followers of Christ. Our challenge is not what we are going to be. We already are lights. Instead, our challenge is where we are going to be. Are we going to hide under a bowl or stand up on a lamp stand? Are we going to provide light for everything under the bowl, which happens to be our little introverted world, or are we going to give light to everyone in the house?

Jesus tells us who we are. He gives us our true identity. Then he asks us where we are going to stand. His call for us is to let our light shine before men that they may see our good deeds and glorify our Father in heaven.

I used to view this passage as a "who am I going to be" question. But I see that that question has already been answered. The passage is really telling me who I am and then asking me "where" I am going to put myself in light of my true identity.

God's desire is that we would put our lives out there. That we would live transparently "before men." And in that way, provide light to this dark world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home