Saturday, April 01, 2006

Fool of a Took

Pippen pushed over the bucket attached to the loud metal chains by accident and they went crashing down the bottomless well. Gandalf yells out, "Fool of a Took! Next time throw yourself down the hole and spare us all!" The orks of the underworld knew that the Fellowship of the Ring had entered the caves and were trying to slip by undetected. Pippen didn't know what he had just got himself into.

So often I feel like a "Fool of a Took." The two main areas I feel the least wise in are of course the most important ones. Many times as a pastor I feel like God looks down on me as Galdalf looked down on Pippen and yells those same words. "Fool of a pastor! Next time throw yourself down the hole and spare us all!"

In two weeks I enter the bonds of holy matrimony. And in this arena I also feel much like a "Fool of a Took." So for all you married types, I ask for your advice and counsel in lessons for marriage. All marrieds are welcome to give your advice in my "comments" section. I am especially interested in any married pastors that could add their two cents to this pool of wisdom. Thank you in advance for all of your sage advice.

10 Comments:

At 6:44 AM, Blogger Dave said...

Yeah... I think you know mine.

Heed thee well...

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Amen brother!!

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Jeff Mount said...

"Have more sex"- dave.

The best marriage advice I received as someone who was looking at ministry...the same advice which I haven't exactly gotten to look at yet...is that if one's ministry at home falls by the wayside in an effort to minister to the community around us...then as a minister that person has failed.

That is the same advice you, Mark, reminded me of last week. So in a very real sense you're already aware of the main thing that I was told that perhaps you could continually benefit from being reminded.

 
At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the many gems I received in graduate school (in marriage and family therapy) was based on some research by Dr. John Gottman here in Seattle (professor at the University of Washington). His research on marital conflict showed that couples who could communicate their way through a fight (responsively rather than reactively) showed signs, over the course of years, in being more fulfilled in their marriage than those who chronically tended toward stalling out in one or more of what he calls "the four horseman of the apocalypse:" defensiveness, contempt, criticism, and stonewalling. He has concluded in his writing that fighting, even regularly, is not detrimental at all; however, "fighting mean," or stalling out in one of these four reactive modes, is, in fact, detrimental over the long-haul.

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger brendar said...

Never stop washing her feet.

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Mark said...

That's good stuff Dr. Clockwork.

I have to wash her feet? I don't remember that in the vows. :)

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Dave said...

So? How are things so far? :D

 
At 11:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

here are a few things I thought were interesting...

you got married on April 9th, 2006, that is the day I got engaged! annd...someone mentioned never stop washing her feet, that is actually the way my fiancee proposed to me.

He washed my feet and said he wants to serve me for the rest of his life. So in that way, I agree, never stop washing her feet.

what a crazy observation about this subject.

hah.
It was good meeting you today (er..yesterday), I may see you on sunday.
okpeaceout.

 
At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

 
At 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home