Thursday, December 06, 2007

little drummer boy

At some point in every Christmas season it happens. I hear the song "Little Drummer Boy."

Come they told me, pa rum pum pum pum
A new born King to see, pa rum pum pum pum
Our finest gifts we bring, pa rum pum pum pum
To lay before the King, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

So to honor Him, pa rum pum pum pum,
When we come.


Inevitably, I get to the second verse become moved by what the song describes .

Little Baby, pa rum pum pum pum
I am a poor boy too, pa rum pum pum pum
I have no gift to bring, pa rum pum pum pum
That's fit to give the King, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

Shall I play for you, pa rum pum pum pum,
On my drum?


There is just something that inspires me about this song. I think it's the image of a poor boy coming to Jesus with nothing to offer. Everyone else lays down their finest gifts, yet this boy has nothing to bring to baby Jesus. No gift of his is fit for a King. So instead of a gift, he offers himself. The only thing this young boy knows how to do is play his drum. And while he isn't even very good, he plays his heart out. He plays with all of his heart and all of his soul. And something miraculous happens in the midst of his playing.

Mary nodded, pa rum pum pum pum
The ox and lamb kept time, pa rum pum pum pum
I played my drum for Him, pa rum pum pum pum
I played my best for Him, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,


The crowd that had gathered to see the baby King begins to join in with the music pouring out of this little boy's drum. And when the boy finally lifts his head to see baby Jesus, the boy is rewarded with the greatest gift he could have ever imagined.

Then He smiled at me, pa rum pum pum pum
Me and my drum.


The little boy gets a smile from King Jesus. A simple smile. But that smile speaks a thousand words. It was as if Jesus was saying that the drumming was the best gift that he got that night. Jesus was more honored by the poor boy who poured his heart out through his drum than all the wealth in the world. The little boy didn't have much to offer. All he had was himself. But he gave all of himself away and received more than he could have imagined.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home