Tuesday, March 30, 2004

the strangest thing that has ever happened to me at Common Grounds

ATTENTION: All who listened to Christian music in the 80's and 90's. Last night I came to Common Grounds, as usual, and hung out with some friends. While I was here I met a girl who is looking to come to Baylor in the Fall. Her last name...Chapman. Yep, as in Steven Curtis Chapman. His daughter is here on campus checking the place out. It gets better.

Well, I am at Common Grounds right now. I was talking with Jill Mashburn when I saw three people walk up to Common Grounds. Sure enough, it was a former Community Coordinator for CLL, Steven Curtis Chapman and his wife. I didn't know what to do. All of a sudden I turned into a middle school kid and I went to the back of CG. I wanted to avoid the Christian music super-star for some reason.

Well, I got my wits about me and casually strolled out into the front room where my stuff was sitting. And there was Melissa Taylor, the former CC, who I knew. So I struck up conversation with her and did some small talking. Wouldn't you know it, Steven and his wife came over to chat. So I shook their hands and chatted a bit about the good weather, Baylor and Common Grounds. Surreal.

Surreal is the only word I can come up with to describe the occurrence which just happened. The reality is that he will never remember meeting me. Its likely that he has already forgotten. But whenever his name is mentioned, I will be sure to remember the time I met him, his wife and his daughter...all at Common Grounds, my personal sanctuary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home