Wednesday, March 03, 2004

blind sight

A thought hit me today right after I got done with my workout. Its funny how revelations can come to you when you are least expecting them. The thought was this: Isn't it funny how its our own sight that blinds us sometimes?

Its kinda like when I see a beautiful girl. She is beautiful physically. This may attract me to her. But this attraction can blind me to her emotional and spiritual disfunction. It is my sight which blinds me. The same could be true for a girl that is not as appealing physically. Her emotional maturity, mental sharpness and spiritual faithfulness may all be overwhelmingly obvious. And yet I may not be able to "see" these things because of my own eyes. I am blinded to her worth because of my sight.

The same could be true when I see a bum on the side of the road. I can't see that he is nearer to the Kingdom than the mug I look at in the mirror every morning. He is nearer to the Kingdom of God because his physical poverty is closer to the truth of God's Kingdom than my wealth. His broken spirit is closer to the Kingdom reality than my self-reliance. His desparation is a better picture of the Kingdom of God than my comfortable middle-class life. Blessed are the poor, for theirs is the Kingdom of God. This is what the Gospel of Luke tells me, but I can't see this. I am blinded by what I can see. I can only see their schizophrenic babbling and their dirty, torn clothes. My own eyes have blinded my vision.

Father, give me eyes to see your reign and your Kingdom all around me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home