Friday, February 27, 2004

picture of discipleship

I am sitting once again at Common Grounds, only this time outside. I just saw a perfect picture of discipleship walk through the door. It was a young boy about 9 or 10 years old holding his little brother's hand who looked about 5 or 6 years old. They held hands as they walked into CG and made their way to the counter.

They both got bottles of soda from the refrigerator case. The big brother made sure that he opened the door and kept it propped open with his body as his little brother moved in and reached for the soda of choice. Big bro paid for their drinks and they walked out together. The little guy had a hard time opening the bottle at first. Big bro asked if he needed help. Little bro made a second and third effort and replied with a confident, "No." Big brother let the little guy work at it until he opened the bottle on his own. Then they strolled on down the sidewalk together, each looking after the other.

Not only was it cute watching the two brothers interact, but it reminded me of how we should help our friends in their movement toward Christ. There was no coercion, no force, no violence. It was gentle and loving and protective. It was a picture of playful caring and warm companionship. And both knew that they were children. They had no illusions about their own maturity. One was simply taking care of the other in their parents stead. They both knew that they were headed home and that soon dad would take care of them both.

Father help me to know my place. Help me when I need to be the big brother to someone. Remind me when it is I who am the little brother. Use me, Father, to lead others to You.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home