Thursday, April 14, 2005

I dream of...

Link group on Wednesday nights is on Towson's campus at Chrissy Reider's place. She has three other roommates in her apartment-like dorm room. She is the only Christian living there but has the general respect of her other roommates. Our Link Group has had a variety of opportunities to interact with these girls. One of the girls, Mallory, was coming for a while even though she grew up Jewish.

Mallory still isn't all that interested in following Christ. She has had some serious struggles that Chrissy has helped her through, but she just wants to live her life the way she wants. Well, last night I had a dream about Mallory. I am not sure what to think of it. I had a dream that she was dieing. I think at some point I encouraged her to give what life she has left to Christ. And as dreams go, I can't really remember much of it.

So what are we to make of dreams. In scripture they were used like the game on the back of the cereal box. God would have a message for someone but would send it encoded through a dream. Then someone would have the divine gift of interpreting dreams. This person would act like the decoder ring and would communicate in clarity the message of God.

Is that still how dreams work? After years of psychological study of dreams, our society has debunked the myth of the dream. It no longer is prophetic. And part of me is glad because I have had some crazy dreams and I would fear the future if they were in any way prophetic. Apparently, dreams tap into our subconscious in some way. I just hope that doesn't mean that deep down I want to see Mallory dead. I am pretty sure that is not the case.

So how am I to interpret this dream? Maybe its symbolic. Maybe the dream was just a metaphorical way of seeing that Mallory is slowly dieing inside. Maybe it was a foretelling of the future and maybe she will die in a few days. I hope not. Maybe it doesn't mean anything at all. Maybe I am just concerned for her and my brain weaved together a grand story of her death. In any case, God I pray that you would watch over Mallory and guard her from death until she can come to know and experience you.

5 Comments:

At 1:23 PM, Blogger brendar said...

Hmmm... Dave, are you saying that you wish Mark was dreaming about you?

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger tali said...

that's what i heard.

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Mark said...

Dave R.,
No worries, I dream of you often. And equally as often I wish you were dead. So I think I would be a good link group leader for ya. :)

 
At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Mark interesting post. I was looking for Info on dreams and I came across your site and while I dream of... wasn't an exact match i was most interested to read what you had to say. I was looking for dreams infomation, I glad I came across your site I'll visit again sometime.

 
At 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mark love your blog. I came across it while looking for dream dictionary. I know I dream of... is not an exact match but thanks for the read. I'll get on with my search for dream dictionary stuff and will visit again sometime. Take Care

 

Post a Comment

<< Home