Saturday, February 09, 2008

Woe to you, Baltimore, you whitewashed tomb!

Driving down 95 gives you a good view of the city from the south. The road elevates just enough for you to have a glimpse of the city-scape. Sometimes the view is deceiving. The skyline looks so peaceful and calm. Yet, the evening news reminds us that our city is anything but peaceful.

I often pray for the city right as I pass the spot in front of the Fort McHenry Tunnel. Today I wondered to myself what Jesus would be thinking if he were in the car seat next to me. If he were to see that beautiful skyline and think about the violence that exists within the city, I wonder what he would say. It might be something similar to what he said at the end of Matthew 23 about the city in which he was executed.

"O Baltimore, Baltimore, you who kill police officers and bribe politicians, how often I have longed to bring your children together and protect them from your violence. But you were not willing. Look, your streets and row-homes are left to you desolate. For I tell you, you will not see me again until every knee bows and every tongue confesses that I am Lord." Jesus

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home