Wednesday, October 20, 2004

discipline wanted

I am finding the need for more and more discipline in my life these days. In the post below this one I mentioned the need for financial discipline. But I am craving discipline in every area of my life. It is more evident than ever now as a "real" person who is "working" full time that I need discipline. In school, a lack of discipline could be managed. And generally, I am a fairly disciplined person. I don't think anyone would consider me lazy or terribly disorganized. But I am longing for more and more consistency in my weeks.

Besides the money issues, I desire greater discipline in my morning routine. I wish I was a morning person who could just bounce out of bed. I am not. But I want to at least get better and rising early to start my day. I am sure with a wife and kids, early rising will be inevitable. I don't want to wait until then. I feel the need for it now. I want to be one of those guys who gets up early, spends a good chunk of time with God, and gets a strong workout in before the rest of my day invades my time.

Getting up takes discipline. Going to bed on time takes discipline. Staying consistent with my running and lifting takes discipline. Spending hours with God takes discipline. And I want it all. I long for that kind of unshakable consistency. When God looks down on the earth and searches for servants and children He can depend on, I want to be on that team. I want to be first string. Regardless of my mood, the stress in my life, or my motivation level, I want to be consistently dependable.

I think that kind of discipline and consistency creates a steadfastness in our character that is unbreakable. It seems that these kind of people regularly hear the voice of God. They are regularly in the right place at the right time so that God can use them to impact lives for His Kingdom. The quality of their character is obvious. The quiet power that resides within them is evident. Their ability to love the "unlovable" is astonishing. This is the kind of person I wish God would mold me into. This is the kind of person I hope to be someday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home